This blog contains a lot of information about Sigfox and other LPWA (but mostly on Sigfox ecosystem). As the blog organization is timeline, this page will propose direct links to the most important blog post to get start with the technology.
Sigfox is a low power, long range, low speed communication technology. It is one of the most important brick for IoT allowing objects to communicate with any application server during years even on small & standard batteries. Sigfox is a technology and also a public network already deployed in many countries.
Getting started with some piece of code
- Let’s play with Sigfox – My first sigfox experience, how to make a “Hello World” with the technology.
- How to create Sigfox callback – And the way to connect your object to your backend server
- Create a downlink communication – and your device now receives order from your application.
- Connect your device to Adafruit.Io to graph your data.
Understand how the technology works
- Do you know Sigfox ? – My first post on the technology to introduce it 3+ years ago
- IoT introduction – Some of the slides I’m using for conference and teaching.
- The network kernel role in the LPWA technologies and more generally the global architecture.
- The Sigfox technology – This post is the one you need to read to understand the way the technology works.
- The Sigfox radio protocol – This post will tell you all you need to know about the radio protocol used for uplink communications
- What’s next for Sigfox technology ?
Example of what you can do with the technology
- Create a connected PIR – detect presence and report it over Sigfox network.
- Network geolocation service – the network can position your objects with no GPS.
- Connect a dog – a talk I have given at devoxx in 2016
- Connect your cellar – a talk I have given at Lavajug in 2015
- Create a 5$ WiFi tracker with Sigfox based on an ESP8266 associated to a Wisol module.
Some of the development kit I use to start with this technology
- Telecom Design TD1205 – all in one solution including GPS & SDK
- Telecom Design family – all the chips (as of 2015) and differences
- Wisol SOC solution for sigfox, wifi, ble and GPS – an all in one solution for making IoT devices.
- Wisol Modem – a low cost solution to communicate with sigfox.
- Smart everything – one of the more complete solution to play with sigfox technology and prototype.
- Arduino MKR1200 – an arduino official platform with a sigfox module included
Let’s go further with the radio technology
- Understand the Sigfox and LoRa radio – see the difference between the two technologies and understand how it works (video + blog post)
- What is duty cycle and why it is so important – all about the RF868 regulation rules.
- Understand the movement impact on Sigfox radio performance.
- Use the Sigfox Network Emulator Kit to make cross zone devices.
- Discover the Sigfox Radio Signal Analyzer to deep understand radio specifications
- Downlink in details – video and blog post on downlink secrets.
- Why antenna matters – understand the antenna impact on performance for your design.
Design your own object
- Large panorama of the IoT & M2M technologies – position LPWA in the global IoT ecosystem.
- Is Sigfox or Lora the best solution ? – This post tries to help you understand the differences.
- Antennas matters – Antenna is a critical part of a LPWA object, let see why.
- Understand IoT cost structure – Why you should not only look at component price to define your target costs.
- Understand why it takes time to make a connected object – what is different in IoT compared to the web ?
- Where to order your PCB – review of different PCB providers accessible to makers.
- How business model matter – understand IoT business model impact on standard market and who is can be a blocker for your project.
- From the Poc to Prod – understand what is an IoT platform architecture and functions it must support.